A traditional meatless Italian staple, this “pasta and beans” recipe will be sure entice any lucky eater.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced (equivalent of approximately 1 cup)
- 1 large carrot finely chopped or julienned (equivalent of approximately 1 cup)
- 1 stalk of celery, thinly chopped (equivalent of approximately 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can of red kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-oz. can Great Northern Beans, drained
- 2 15-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ pound of ditalini pasta
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet and drain. Transfer to a Dutch Oven or large stock pot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes, until tender.
Add remaining ingredients except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring often. At 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in a separate pot according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain the pasta and add to the pot of soup. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
Pairs well with Pinot Noir wine.